Tuesday, January 16, 2007

P.H.O. (Vietnamese for soup)

My baby brother (who actually towers 2 feet over my entire family) recently got back from a trip to Vietnam where among two Vietnamese phrases, he picked up how to cook several local dishes. They are really healthy, delicious and easy to prepare!

Step one: Find your local Asian market and buy squid, shrimp, rice paper, mint, basil, Pho flavoring, Spring Role fish sauce, bean sprouts, veggies, two pineapples, Pho noodles, beef, bell peppers, garlic, onions, green papaya, and carrots.







Step two: (the abridged version) Cut, Cook, Mix and Prepare everything. My brother only trusted me with remedial jobs such as grating the carrots and gutting the pineapple.



Step three: Eat. (note to chef: presentation is key)

Pineapple Squid Mix:




Spring Role:




Pho:




Preparation Time: took my entire family 1 hour.
Cost: all together about $45 worth of groceries (however it fed all 4 of us for three nights!)
Favorite Dish: Spring Role

Coming soon: A short video on how to actually make one and enjoy it! (you'll get it when you see it!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you know what my favorite role model is? the spring role. its a wonderful role model, always making positive decisions and guiding me through the difficult days. The spring role is also a really great character in my favorite play. And even if the spring role plays only a minor role in my life at any given moment, its most often the most important role, that spring role.

beanis. said...

haha... yeah.
spring roll is what i met. all over the place.

Unknown said...

spring roll is what you met huh? well, its good you didn't meet wanton or rice noodle? its tough to meet those guys when you're not prepared.

beanis. said...

i would change it to roll shaff, but then your comments wouldn't make sense, right?

Anonymous said...

i want spring rolls. amd i also want a blog about me. and the football game. come on...the negulator!

Payam said...

umm, sounds good, funny I didn't hear anything about this when it actually happened. I thought members of FC gave immediate insights regarding new food discoveries to one another. Somehthing smells fishy, and its not the wontons.

Bakhman said...

OMG

If it wasn't for the Puma shirt, I would NOT have recognized Nima.